Monday 11 June 2012

Trujillo (still), 11-6-12


So I woke up early this morning, chain smoked several cigarettes, packed my stuff, loaded the bike and tried to set off for Sullana. Only the bastard bike wouldn't start.
Same symptoms as Friday that I thought I'd solved by changing the spark plug.
I'd noticed a Yamaha logo outside a shop round the corner from the hostal so I while I waited for them to open, I used Google Translate to write a note explaining what I thought was wrong with my bike (flywheel woodruff key. I recognised the symptoms from my old RS125 back in 1985 or so).
The first Yamaha dealer directed me to a second who directed me to a third. Finally I was directed to a mechanic over the road and we set off on his WR250 to take a look at my bike.
I've never been towed before. Well, I haven't exactly been towed now but the mechanic rode behind me with his foot on my rear peg pushing the bike the couple of miles back to the workshop. Quite an interesting experience in Peruvian rush hour traffic. We even got a pull from the Police on the way but they let us go without asking me any questions.
At the workshop we did the usual strip down of the bike while the mechanic made sure it was sparking and there was fuel in it and then we hooked it up to a car battery to turn the engine over.
Finally, we stripped down the flywheel side of the engine and sure enough the woodruff key had sheared.
A replacement was sourced from the car engine shop (not just engine parts, whole engines) next door out of a Chevy V8 crankshaft and machined to fit. I hung around with the mototaxi drivers out front drinking beer and watching chicas walk past while he did the machining but watched (and even helped) for the rest of the job. I've learned my lesson concerning unsupervised mechanics.
The bearing face on the starter cog is still absolutely flat btw. I checked while the flywheel was off. Looks like a good job to me.
The bike started straight away, job's a good 'un and Sullana will wait until tomorrow. I had a run up to the ruins of Chan Chan to put a bit of charge in the battery and I'm now sitting around drinking beer and wondering what to have for tea.










Plaza des Armas

Marching band

Church facade

Marching bands in the Plaza des Armas

Pilsen Trujillo

Church facade

Statue

Tres Cruces

Watching the footy outside the TV rental shop

Pisco Sour

Chip omelette and Pisco Sour

Engine shop

Bike in the nip

Old and new woodruff keys

Square edge on the starter cog

Workshop

Test ride

Chan Chan city walls

2 comments:

  1. What a mechanical saga! Had 2 reasonable problems with the mog but nothing quite so drawn out and nothing that ever really stopped me for too long. Loving the landscape photos, mountains look amazing. Getting pangs for foreign lands and the open road.
    Ride some good miles and have a cold one for me.
    Dave beard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It´s only really been the starter clutch that has caused any significant problems, everything else has been sorted (and machined) by some very competant local mechanics. OK, the one in Arica was rubbish but the rest of them have been excellent.
      Had a bit of a crisis yesterday, I thought the rear shock had collapsed. It turns out that a bolt had sheared on my rack and the pannier was jammed against the swing arm preventing it from dropping. A trip round the engineering shop part of town this morning found me a good set of bolts and I will be back on the road tomorrow. In Loja, heading for Riobamba.

      Delete