Friday 17 February 2012

Azul. 16-2-12


Getting the bike through customs  was easy thanks to Sandra from Dakar Motos. We went up to the airport in a cab with a load of documents and copies of documents and all I had to do was shell out cash at appropriate times.
The problems started when I tried to leave. I packed the bike, unpacked it again so customs could give my stuff the once over, re-packed it, put my gear on, started the bike and it died as soon as I put it into gear. I'd noticed the switch on the clutch lever had come loose when I was taking the bike to the airport so I assumed it had something to do with that. Many phone calls back to Dakar and I ended up riding with the neutral indicator lead shorted to earth and the neutral light on all the way. Turns out there's another switch on the side stand and both that and the clutch switch had died. Shorting them both out solved the problem.
Took a day trip out to Tigre, just west of Bueons Aires to try the bike out. Didn't do much, just lunch in a pavement cafe and a bit of a potter around. Loving riding in shorts and t-shirt but feeling vulnerable. Packed the bike on Wednesday evening, set off Thursday morning into 40 degree heat. The bike was handling like a bag of spanners and I had no idea why until I stopped in Canuelas to visit a cash point and saw that everything had fallen backwards and all the weight was hanging off the rear of the bike. Soon fixed with a couple of packing straps. I put riding gear on because it looked like rain.
Fuck, did it rain. I tried everything; following the storm, riding through the storm but nothing did any good. I was soaked through within 10 minutes and had to do around 280km across the Pampas. The Pampas is flat and featureless. You keep thinking you're about to go into a town but you're not. There's no shelter, few petrol stations and fewer places to get a hot drink. I think I tried all of them.
When I finally got to Azul, the place I was heading had already closed up. I had no phone number for them and no credit in my phone. I failed to find the municipal campsite (I didn't look very hard, I must admit), the Ruta 3 Motel appeared to be abandoned and so I found a moderately priced hotel in the town. My stuff is currently spread all over the room dripping onto the floor, maps and banknotes included. Hopefully it will be usable tomorrow.
The bike held up pretty well, I've had problems with water before and it did start spluttering during some of the heaviest rain but it held together. Short of breaking the speedometer cable it behaved very nicely all day. I now have another item on my todo list, this needs to be sorted because without the milage counter, I have no idea how much petrol I have left.
Right. Finish my beer and off to the restaurant downstairs.
Oh yeah, another thing for the todo. All my documents are soaked through. Passport, vaccination certificates, IDP, temporary import permit for the bike. Put them in a plastic bag.














No comments:

Post a Comment