Sunday 26 February 2012

Bariloche 26-2-12


Monster hangover this morning. I nearly stayed an extra night in Esquel to sleep it off but I'm taking too many rest days and Argentina has got expensive since I was last here.
No fuel queues in Esquel and I met a guy on an Africa Twin heading for Ushuaia who said there were no fuel problems to the north.
Esquel is an odd place, sort of reminds me of Innsbruck; a view of mountain tops in every direction only Esquel looks more like a wild west town. Also made the wonderful discovery that there are local craft breweries producing bottle conditioned real ale. This probably explains the hangover.
Back to RN40 and the desert scrub slowly gave way to lush green hills, spectacular mountain views and clear Andean lakes. It looks so much like the Alps it's uncanny. Even the buildings look like Swiss lodges.
A wonderful winding road through the mountains and I'm in Bariloche. It was overcast and raining for most of the way so I couldn't fully appreciate the views. Everything is still closed for siesta and I need to eat and could use a hair of the dog.
Chile tomorrow, weather permitting.












No comments:

Post a Comment